Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Study Break!!!

Well, I should be studying, but there is only so much my brain can take.

Also, I will let you in on a secret:

This is not hard.

Yet.

I understand we are in the first week, but I know most of this material like the back of my hand. Thank you, Rao, the insanely difficult Cell Bio/Genetics professor.

Also, most of our professors are lecturing over material that is very, very similar, so the lectures overlap. That makes studying easier.

Wednesdays will typically be my *short* days, unless I have Physiology lab. I get out at noon, otherwise.

Big news:

I got an iPad. It rocks.

Now. I do not condone the purchase of a $500-$800 (or more!) device. However, if you are in college/university/grad school/professional school/etc, here are my thoughts.

I took notes on my IBM laptop for two days. I could not draw the pictures or diagrams that the professor was putting on the power points. I could keep up with the lecture, however, and found that typing is far superior to hand-written notes.

My laptop is 4 years old and LOUD. I love my laptop more than just about any material item I own, except for my Dan Post cowboy boots. And perhaps my Jeep.

Anyway. The screen already had to be replaced on my laptop, and I suspect the cause was toting it about. I do not want to go through that again, and due to then elderly-ness of my computer, I would rather not haul it around.

So due to the bulk, loudness, delicate nature, and lack of drawing capabilities, I started searching for a tablet-like device. I looked at many Google/Android/Windows machines, as well as the iPad. I talked with people who used both.

And I ultimately settled on the iPad. The other devices are less expensive, for sure, but I doubt I would have been as happy. It is not perfect, but it does everything I need it to do, and much, much more (haha!)

Here is how I use mine:

I use my computer to download my professor's power points to my desktop. Then I upload them to Box.net. From my iPad, I download the PPTs to Noterize, a free app from the app store.

Then in Noterize, I make them BEAUTIFUL. Lots of highlighting, coloring, underlining, handwritten notes, and typed notes.


There is a way to download the PPTs directly to Noterize, but my internet connection doesn't seem to like it. I can make it all work faster with the above technique.

So. I will get my money's worth of use from this device, although I cringe every time I think of the price. Additionally, although I know that the iPad will most likely be obsolete at this point, I could use it once I get to clinics and after I graduate. I can store photos and information about cases in it, and use it to review treatment plans and histories with my clients.

So it was an investment. I know that the more I use it, the more I will like about it.

And now I am off to the anatomy lab. I've already been there once today, but I forgot to give Tippy her shot first. Good thing I only live 12 minutes away. I was still mad at myself.

So think of me, as I learn the markings of the thoracic limb of the dog and cat. Woot woot.

No comments:

Post a Comment