Monday, January 16, 2012

Food for thought

You know the worst part about being sick? Being someone who LOVES food.

I can't SMELL the food. I can't TASTE the food. I can hadly even SWALLOW the food. And yet life must go on, I still have to study, and I am still hungry. Very annoying. I made hamburgers yesterday using my super-duper fabulous-yummy hamburger recipe and I can't taste them at all. Hot tea and Southern Comfort is all it is for me.

My first large animal anatomy exam is tomorrow and I am tired of studying for it. I should really look over the lecture material some more, but I don't want to. Bleh. I will, soon.

I finally have my house allllll clean! I'm super happy about it. I really did not realize how stressful a messy house is. If you know me in person, you will know that I am domestically disabled. I have lived in clutter my whole life. But once I finally have everything unpacked and put away... woah. I don't have to worry about losing something, or making time to find something. It's fab. So. Clean your house.

The best thing about vet school so far (well, after The Awesome People) is all the superb symposiums. I'm going to the SAVMA (Student American Vet Med Association) symposium in March. The Food Animal symposium in April. The MVMA (MO vet med) symposium the end of the month. The AABP (bovine practitioners) symposium in Montreal. I'm sure the VBMA (vet med business assoc.) and the AASRP (small ruminant practitioners) have symposiums sometime. Lucky for me, most of them have free registration! So I'm just responsible for gas and hotel and networking, networking, networking. I want a fabulous job when I graduate so I can pay off all these darn loans.

My notecard FB page is finally up: Check it out! Like it! Share with your friends!

And my random thought for the day: I could really be more productive if the internet did not exist. However, then there would be no Google and I have no idea how I would pass vet school. So it should stay. But really... who knew there could be so many amazing distractions? Facebook, of course, takes a chunk of time. But then someone introduced me to Pandora... internet radio? That I control? Yes please! And then an evil person (not really, I love her to death) introduced me to Pinterest. Gah.

And then there are my favorite forums. I love forums. They are informative, stupid, dramatic, helpful and just plain awesome. Horse City, The Goat Spot, MyLamb, Student Doctor... now Hoegger Farmyard and Backyardherds. So much nonsense to sort, so little time. But seriously. Everytime I log in to one of them, I learn something. What I like most about them is that the information there is real-life, from real people. I am learning a ton from books and clinicians. Obviously they are professionals (or written by them) but there is something to be said about actual life-or-death, this-is-my-livelihood experience. I have to be careful about what I post, of course, since I don't want to be sued for malpractice or practicing without a license (that would suck), but I do enjoy offering some help.

I don't want to give up my forums, so I am trying to justify them. So far my plan is to allow myself one hour each day for searching around on all the forums. Some days I don't even touch that link. Some days I spend way too much time on them. But I'm learning!

And then, because I am on a health-diet kick (just like every January) I was introduced to Livestrong.com to log my calories, and Fitocracy to log my exercise. So. Much. Internet.

So I'm off to drag myself away from the iPad and do some book studying. After I check my school email. And my personal email. And facebook. And my Backyardherds post. And then Facebook again.

No comments:

Post a Comment