Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Welcome to Dr. Tora's Goat Hospital... would you like a cave tour?

So I started my job this weekend. I love my job dearly, but it is exhausting. Basically, I lead groups of people of all ages through the cave while chatting with, talking to, talking at, or screaming above them. I only take groups of sizes up to 30 people, normally. It's interesting and I meet a lot of people, and anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE to talk.

So why was I ready to quit this weekend? Because I am soooooo sore. And tired. We walk at least 3 to 4 miles a day, up and down hills, on a concrete path, BACKWARD. Remember that we face the group...

So try it one day. Two, actually, Saturday and Sunday, and see how your legs hold up.

On top of that, I trimmed Heather's horses on Sunday and Summer sort of smashed my toe. So I am pretty achy.

But I feel better by now, so I've psyched myself back up for another weekend of work. Plus I have Friday off school and off work (Thank you, Jesus!-- I'm being literal, by the way) so it's all good.

But the main point of this post was an update. We ran a regular hospital in our shop this weekend. Here was the list of patients:

The foundling-- I believe we are calling her Ladybug-- apparently has no owner. At this point we're holding on to her indefinitely. Anyway, just continuing with supportive care/maintenance. She looks fantastically better and is shaping up to be a pretty nice doe.

Ginger Belle-- we already have a Ginger Spice, so when "Ginger" arrived, we had to add a surname-- bleh. She came to us severely anorexic, moderately-to-severely anemic, and mildly hemorrhaging. We got the hemorrhage to stop and her red blood cells on the upswing, but she still had hardly any interest in eating. But she's on the mend.

Quinn-- presented mild dystocia. She progressed for awhile and then, despite hardy contractions, nothing was happening. So I clipped my nails and scrubbed up. I went in and just had to tip the baby's nose down and search for a leg.

And the two neonates-- Sam and Reese. They are bouncing and happy in their playpen in our kitchen. Unfortunately they are both bucks, but they are darlings, too.

So by the time the weekend was over, I was so exhausted I made the decision to drive back to school on Monday morning. I made it through class, 7 hours at Dr. Little's, drove to Zach's to pick up some stuff from the old house, and made it back to my dorm and fell into bed. I feel lots better today and am ready to take on this week! Just two days and one presentation between me and Thursday night... and back to my caprine hospital :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment